Pinch of Salt is a food blog written by me, Katy Salter, journalist and food and travel writer by day, blogger by night. The Pinch covers easy recipes, cafe reviews, travel and cool kitchenwares. I only write about things I like as I want this blog to be a positive space.
I was features editor of the award-winning Waitrose Food Illustrated magazine from 2006-2010, and most recently the recipes editor of goodtoknow.co.uk - the UK's most visited women's website. I'm now a freelance writer which means my two favourite words are 'remittance advice' and sometimes, yes, I work in my trackies and eat toast for lunch. I live with my fiance J, who loves 98% of my culinary creations (the other 2% can be marked under 'fail' or 'burnt'). Until recently we lived in south London, but we're currently living, working, eating and exploring in New York City. This is the second time I've lived in America, having studied at university in Rhode Island (the smallest state, but a very pretty one).
By day, I write about food and travel for websites, newspapers and magazines including Elleuk.com, The Guardian, Jamie Magazine, Lovefood.com, and Sainsbury's Magazine. My work has also appeared in the Evening Standard, Company, Metro, Lonely Planet Traveller, Olive, Sunday Times Travel, Top Sante, and Waitrose Kitchen. In 2012, Stylist called me one of its top 20 food heroines, alongside loads of amazing people like Nigella Lawson, Mary Berry and Delia Smith - which was hugely exciting and only made my head swell a tiny bit. Promise.
Some random things I like: chorizo, Mad Men, New York, swotting up on American politics (my former degree subject), limes, spring, Brixton Village, flat whites, Gail's quinoa sourdough (the world's most middle-class foodstuff?), dogs in clothes, classic diners, The West Wing, pictures of smooth buttercream frosting, the Kent countryside, Donna Hay magazine, pancakes, making 90s tracklists on Spotify, scones (butter first, always), Bill Granger, denim shirts worn with spangly necklaces, Americana, typography, books set in the 20s and 30s especially with spies or damaged but beautiful aristos, coriander, Shake Shack burgers, Seinfeld, Nigel Slater, spending way too much money in Whistles, my monthly baking club with my best friend V - named 'Reem Bakers' in honour of Joey Essex from TOWIE (even though we no longer watch the show), carrot fritters, scrambled eggs, daffodils, She and Him, fancy dress, Teapigs Chocolate Malt Tea, lists.
Some random things I don't like: people who don't allow passengers off the Tube before boarding, mushrooms.
Awards nominations: Nominated twice for Food Journalist of the Year at the Guild of Food Writers Awards (in 2009 and 2010), and for World Food Journalist of the Year at the 2010 Cordon Bleu Awards. Pinch of Salt was shortlisted for the New Media award at the Guild of Food Writers Awards 2011.
Press and kind words
- Pinch of Salt in Grazia
- Stylist's Top 20 Food Heroines
- Stylist's Food Heroines: My favourite ingredient
- Fiona Beckett's blogs of the month
- Guild of Food Writers Awards in The Bookseller
- Weekender Life: best of the blogs
- 4th Estate: Our top 10 food blogs
- Woman and Home's 100 Best food blogs
Disclosure bit: I generally try to keep Pinch of Salt separate from my day job, and I don't often write about food products, fancy restaurants or producers here. Very occasionally, I will accept an invitation for review, either for my day job or specifically for Pinch of Salt, and write it up. When that happens I make it clear in the post. If I don't like it, I'm afraid I won't write it up. Email me at pinchofsaltlondon(at)gmail.com.